Agenda and minutes

Boston Town Area Committee (BTAC) - Thursday, 7th October, 2021 6.30 pm

Venue: Conference Centre, Jakemans Community Stadium (Boston United), Pilgrim Way, Wyberton, Boston, PE21 7NE

Contact: Pippa Rose, Democratic Services Apprentice  01205 314228 email:  pippa.rose@boston.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

14.

APOLOGIES

To receive apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Alison Austin, Alan Bell, Viven Edge, Martin Howard, Brian Rush and Yvonne Stevens

15.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 191 KB

To sign and confirm the minutes of the last meeting.

Minutes:

The minutes of the last meeting held 9th August 2021 were agreed and signed by the Chairman

16.

UPDATE ON ACTIONS FROM THE MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING

To report progress on outstanding actions from the minutes of the last meeting, for information only.

Minutes:

Members received a letter from Boston In Bloom following a submission for the five lamps, currently situated on the A16 Haven Bridge, to be relocated.

 

Boston in Bloom would like to have them removed from their current location, rewired and painted and placed in the former bandstand area of Central Park. The funding had already been secured for this; however, Boston In Bloom wanted the support from BTAC before applying for planning permission.

 

Members were in full support for Boston In Bloom relocating the lamps to Central Park and were in agreement that the heritage of Boston should be preserved and celebrated.

 

RESOLVED: That BTAC fully support Boston In Bloom in relocating the five lamps to Central Park

 

17.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

To receive declarations of interests in respect of any item on the agenda.

Minutes:

Councillor Anne Dorrian declared that although there had been previous circumstances involving Councillor Dorrian and Mr Darron Abbott, she would consider the Item on its own merits and not let the past affect her judgement.

 

18.

PUBLIC QUESTIONS

To answer any written questions received from members of the public no later than 5 p.m. two clear working days prior to the meeting – for this meeting the deadline is 5 p.m. on Monday 4 October 2021.

Minutes:

None

19.

PUBLIC SPEAKING TIME

To allow members of the public to address the Committee.

Minutes:

None

20.

ARRANGING COMMUNITY EVENTS - PLATINUM JUBILEE EVENT pdf icon PDF 622 KB

A report by the Assistant Director - Support Service and Partnership

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The   Assistant Director - Support Services & Partnerships presented a report, which set out a request from Arranging Community Events (ACE) for a grant of up to £5,000 to run an event in Boston town centre, open to all, to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee in 2022.

 

The report was previously considered by the Committee at the last meeting, held on 9th August 2021, where it was resolved that the item be deferred to the current meeting, to allow the applicant to submit additional information in order for the Committee to make an informed decision. The additional information submitted was attached as an appendix to the main report along with an email chain between Mr Darron Abbott and Lincolnshire County Council and a letter of support for the event from Boston Big Local, which was provided for members at the meeting.

 

Some members voiced some concerns and Mr Abbott was asked to clarify how many successful events ACE had previously held and other information about the group, including its membership and the roles of those members. Mr Abbott was then invited to address the Committee and he confirmed the names of other members. He then explained that, while the group had been formed for a while and had hosted events previously they had not yet met formally to discuss their roles but would be doing so at a later date. Mr Abbott also explained that previously ACE had held three successful charity events which raised just over £1,000 for the Mayor’s Charity.

 

Members were in agreement that an event to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee should take place within the town, as members of the public significantly benefited from all events that were held.

 

One member had researched the official guidance for celebrating the Platinum Jubilee, which was to host garden/street parties and lunch events with neighbours. The member then proposed that the Committee task the Council’s events team to scope the prospect of garden parties and big lunch events to celebrate the event and that the application by ACE be deferred until a report had been presented to the Committee.

 

 

RESOLVED: That BTAC task the Council’s Event team to scope the prospect of garden parties and big lunch events to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee and that the application for funding by Arranging Community Events be deferred until such time as a report on the findings of the scope is returned to the Committee.

21.

BTAC SMALL GRANTS SCHEME pdf icon PDF 405 KB

A Report by the Local Communities Development Officer

Minutes:

The BTAC Grant Administrator presented a report, which set out the applications to the Small Grants Working Group in Round 2 of the Financial year 2021/22 and considered additional business with regard to membership of the Small Grant Working group.

 

It was recommended that the Committee endorse the recommendations made by the Working Group in respect of eligible applications and provide additional membership from their number to join the BTAC Small Grant Working Group.

 

The application was received from Lincolnshire RoadHoG Youth Bus Project for £620 to provide two new consoles, controller and some new games for the bus as their current equipment was no longer working.

 

Members expressed their support for the project and were in agreement that the project provided a safe and alternative place for young people to express themselves.

 

The officer explained that there were currently only three members on the Small Grant Working group and that the number would need to be increased so that at least three members would be present at each meeting.

 

RESOLVED:

  1. That the Lincolnshire RoadHoG Youth Bus Project be granted £620 from the Small Grants Scheme.

Councillors Katie Chalmers and Anton Dani are now members of the Small Grant Working group.

22.

BTAC ASSETS - PUBLIC OPEN SPACES pdf icon PDF 510 KB

Report by the Operations Manager

Minutes:

The Play and Physical Activity Officer presented a report to the Committee, which provided members with an update on the improvements to public open spaces during 2021/22 and identified further improvements for consideration in 2022/23.

 

It was recommended that the Committee:

  1. Note the Wish List
  2. Agree to fund £2,000 for an annual ‘Skate Jam’ in Central Park
  3. Agree to fund £2,000 to enable the Broadfield Lane project delivery 21/22
  4. Approve saving reallocation of £6,640 for St Johns security fencing

 

Members asked that a more detailed list of costings for the Broadfield Lane project be shared with members as the improvements included equipment for older children with the current equipment being aimed towards toddlers.

 

Some members expressed their concerns that their particular wards did not have the same facilities as play areas across the town.  In response, it was explained that in Fenside, the Council are currently working with Lincolnshire Housing Partnership to develop an extra care scheme of Ingelow Avenue, which includes recreation and play facilities.

 

Members were in support of the report and praised the Play and Physical Activity Officer for her work.

 

RESOLVED to: :

  1. Note the Wish List
  2. Agree to fund £2,000 for an annual ‘Skate Jam’ in Central Park
  3. Agree to fund £2,000 to enable the Broadfield Lane project delivery 21/22
  4. Approve saving reallocation of £6,640 for St Johns security fencing

 

23.

WORK PROGRAMME - STANDING ITEM pdf icon PDF 170 KB

(The Committee’s work programme for the current year for discussion and/or updating.)

Minutes:

Members noted the work programme with the addition of asking the Assistant Director – Planning to discuss the provision of open spaces.